Introduction and my relationship with art

        This is the personal and academic blog of Shawn McCarthy. For those of you familiar with me you will know that I have a hot and cold relationship with art in general. I have very intense eras of creation and then there are times when I cannot make any type of art at all. Some of it has to do with the fact that for me art is about an emotion that I am trying to express. If I don't have anything I want to express then I don't. The last time I did anything consistently with art was in North Pole High School's AP art program, in 2006. My primary medium was graphite and charcoal. I started to move into acrylic painting with some mixed media, but I found that to be altogether awful. Acrylic dries incredibly fast in the Alaskan air. Art to me is a refinement in technical skill, a visual organizational tool, and a therapeutic process. If the medium interferes with either of those items then I am not interested in it. It doesn't serve me. I should have perhaps tried oil painting or something where I could potentially change what I had made later on. 
        
       I work as an avionics mechanic out at Eielson where I have been employed for about the last 15 years roughly speaking. I am pursuing a degree in Justice so that I can hopefully attend Law School and eventually become a Public Defender in the State of Alaska. I have dabbled off and on with art. This blog will primarily be focused on evaluating and critiquing art. Before I can really dive into that I need to explain some prolegomena so that anyone reading this can understand why I choose the pieces I do.

        1. Technique: that is the artist has a technique I admire and I would one day like to learn. Not only that, it's a technique that I know if I am patient with myself, I might be able to attain one day. 

        2. Historical significance: I like paintings, sculptures, and drawings, that are significant to a facet of history. 

        Art is a pretty good mirror of the time in which it was created. It can serve to reinforce ideas or express concepts that are important in the given context. It is also a window into the mind of the artists. Sometimes these ideas have historical significance. I appreciate art that expresses those historical flashpoints tactfully in a medium. One of these that I would like to share to emphasize the point is this piece by Willem van de Velde. When I was in Amsterdam two years ago I was at the maritime museum there. They had an entire section dedicated to naval art but also a subsection of Dutch painters. I don't know a whole lot about naval history, especially as it concerns the Dutch. My bailiwick has typically been in studying Byzantium, so I am not as familiar with Dutch Naval history, but I can appreciate what he was able to communicate to me using pen and ink. To see this art in person, to put some perspective on it, it's about 9 feet long and about 4.5 feet high. It's a wall. It's paper, with the medium being pen and ink. We can get into why I like that in a moment. So this wall that he made, probably took him about a month or two to make. The level of detail is astounding. He is drawing a naval battle with conservatively about fifty ships. There is a high contrast between the white blank sky and the incredibly busy ocean with the fighting ships on there. This drawing has been folded a couple of times once in the middle and every quarter, which is a shame. I am not one for taking lots of pictures so the fact that I stopped to take even a few of this masterpiece means that it enamoured me.         
         





       

        What I mean by enamored me is that here was a medium I actually enjoy,( pen and ink using an inkwell is something I enjoy) from a master in the medium, telling me a story I don't know, and teaching me if I am open to it how to take my technique to the next level. I didn't know this person existed. I didn't know this work existed, and if I hadn't been on temporary duty in my military career I would have never known this existed at all. I wasn't looking for something like this when I saw it. When I saw it, I recognized that this might be someone I might be able to learn from by researching their portfolio and could potentially give me inspiration. I haven't tapped into that yet, but I recognize a good source of technical skill and historical rooting that I appreciate. This art makes me want to know more about the Dutch Navy. It reminds me that I am still learning in my art journey and that when I am ready I know where I need to focus to attain the next level. 

Comments

  1. That was the single third best blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love art with historical significance, too. We have Eielson in common. My first 5 years of teaching were spent at Eielson. Both schools I taught at are now gone. If you ever encountered Dustin Klaich when he was stationed there, he's my nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shawn, I believe technique is a very important process as well, especially when creating art. There is some significance to just winging it, but being precise can really make certain aspects of an artwork shine. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tenebrism in Baroque art

Zdzisław Beksiński, Painter of Nightmares (Art Analysis)